Profile at The Alan Turing Institute
I’m on Twitter
kmcdonough [at] turing.ac.uk
- Research Associate on Living with Machines
- Principal Investigator on Machines Reading Maps (and here)
- Book manuscript Public Work: Making Roads and Citizen in Eighteenth-Century France
- OgéeTopo: A Gazetteer for Eighteenth-Century Brittany, France. Work in progress here.
- GÉODE: Encyclopedic Geographic Discourse: Writing about Geography in France from the Enlightenment to the Age of Wikipedia
- OHTAP: Oral History Text Analysis Project
- French Revolutionary Data Project
Media Coverage of my Research and Teaching
- Press releases for the Machines Reading Maps AHRC/NEH-funded project, 2021
- Unlocking historical map collections, AHRC pamphlet on Living with Machines, 2021
- Experiential learning at Bates College, “A History Lab Puts Bates on the Map”, 2016
Some Recent Publications
Hosseini, Kasra, Katherine McDonough, Daniel van Strien, Olivia Vane, and Daniel C S Wilson. “Maps of a Nation? The Digitized Ordnance Survey for New Historical Research.” Journal of Victorian Culture 26, no. 2 (April 1, 2021): 284–99.
McDonough, Katherine, Ludovic Moncla, and Matje van de Camp. “Named Entity Recognition Goes to Old Regime France: Geographic Text Analysis for Early Modern French Corpora.” International Journal of Geographical Information Science 33, no. 12 (2019): 2498–2522.
McDonough, Katherine. “Putting the Eighteenth Century on the Map: French Geospatial Data for Digital Humanities Research.” In Digitizing Enlightenment, edited by S. Burrows and G. Roe. Liverpool: Oxford Studies in the Enlightenment, 2020.
Research Networks and Workshops
- I co-organize the Computer Vision for Digital Heritage Special Interest Group at The Alan Turing Institute
- Early Modern Mobility Research Group
- I help convene the Humanities & Data Science Discussion Group at The Alan Turing Institute
Tutorials and Teaching Resources
- DeezyMatch Tutorial at LinkedPasts6, part of the Locating a National Collection Workshop, 2020
- Geoparsing Historical French Texts, with Ludovic Moncla, 2020
- Leidner, Jochen L., Bruno Martins, Katherine McDonough, and Ross S. Purves. “Text Meets Space: Geographic Content Extraction, Resolution and Information Retrieval.” In Advances in Information Retrieval, edited by Joemon M. Jose, Emine Yilmaz, João Magalhães, Pablo Castells, Nicola Ferro, Mário J. Silva, and Flávio Martins, 669–73. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-45442-5_89. Slides and tutorial data.
- Topics in Geographic Text Analysis, Stanford University, 2019
- Geographic Text Analysis, Stanford University, 2018
- Databases in the Humanities, Stanford University, 2018